Dr. Kumar was recently featured in The Woolfer article, ‘The 411 on Female Urology’

Posted on: March 20th, 2020 by Angelish Kumar

Dr. Angelish Kumar was recently interviewed by The Woolfer for an article titled, ‘The 411 on Female Urology’

Here is an excerpt from the interview:

Q: The word urology has always made me think of old men and prostate issues. But now that I’m menopausal, a whole new world of urinary issues have come to light. Can you please tell us, what is a Uro-gynecologist, and are you one?

A: People generally use the term uro-gynecologist to describe a doctor who specializes in women’s pelvic floor and urinary issues, such as urinary incontinence and pelvic organ prolapse. To get technical, a urogynecologist is actually a doctor who has done his or her residency training in either urology or obstetrics and gynecology, and then gone on to do a fellowship in “Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery,” or,”FPMRS.” The fellowship allows both urologists and gynecologists to gain more experience with advanced surgical procedures for incontinence and prolapse.

I am a urologist who specializes in women’s genitourinary health, but I have not done an FPMRS fellowship, so I am not a urogynecologist. But there are many urologists and gynecologists who deal with female genitourinary problems who have not done an “FPMRS.” What really matters is that you are seeing a doctor who specializes in the problem you are having, and that if it is not their area of specialty or interest, that they refer you to someone more appropriate.

Read the full interview.

End of content dots